As today’s technology keeps evolving, so does the software that operates it. If you own a Ford model with the SYNC® 3 system, you’ll find that it’ll ask you to update the system every now and then. It’s important that you make these updates, since a lot of stability and bug fixes come with them to help your system run more smoothly. Luckily, Ford made it super easy and simple for you to update your SYNC® 3 either via USB or Wi-Fi. Take a look at our step-by-step guide or watch the videos below!
Automatic System Updates via Wi-Fi
Updating your vehicle via Wi-Fi is the easiest way to do so, and you have the option to install updates automatically! Before starting, make sure you’re parked in a well-ventilated area as your vehicle needs to be turned on and running throughout the process.
- Turn on your SYNC® 3 system
- Connect your vehicle to a trusted Wi-Fi network nearby
- Go to “Settings”, then click Wi-Fi
- Select your desired network and enter the password
- Once your vehicle is connected, go back to the main “Settings” page, then select “General”, and then tap the “Automatic System Updates” bar.
- Make sure the “Automatic System Updates” is “On” by tapping on the slider.
- A prompt will appear letting you know that “Automatic System Updates are On” and the process is complete. From there, your SYNC® 3 system will automatically update itself when connected to a trusted Wi-Fi network.
Manual Updating via USB
Downloading the software update
Before downloading the update, make sure your SYNC Owner account is activated by logging in and registering your vehicle. Additionally, you’ll need an empty USB flash drive with more than 2GB worth of free space and no password protection (it’s important that no other files are in the flash drive, as the files may become corrupted)
- Log into your SYNC account
- Go to the SYNC® Software Updates page to check for a notification that says “You have an update available.” If the notification appears, click “Download SYNC update”
- Insert your empty USB flash drive into the computer and click “Start Download Process” on your browser.
- Follow the accompanying instructions to download the file and transfer them to your flash drive.
- Once the software update file is loaded in your flash drive, take it to your vehicle and follow the next steps on installing it in your vehicle.
Installing the update in your vehicle:
Make sure you’re familiar with your vehicle’s USB ports and that you save any important navigation points, as they will be deleted after the update.
- Turn on your vehicle in a well-ventilated area. Your vehicle must be running to install the update and must remain on until it completes.
- Plug the USB flash drive with the software update you just downloaded into the USB port of the vehicle.
- Press “Menu”
- Scroll to “SYNC-Settings” and click “OK”
- Scroll to “Install on SYNC” and click “OK”
- A prompt will appear on your screen. Click “Yes”
- An audio prompt will notify you that the SYNC system will reboot and start the update. From there, the system will be disabled for 10-20 minutes for the update to complete.
- At the end of the installation, you’ll hear another audio prompt telling you: “Your SYNC system update is complete.” From there, wait a few more moments for the system to reboot.
- After the system reboots, verify the update was completed by scrolling back to “SYNC-Settings” and selecting “Systems info”. From there, you should see the latest software installed in your system.
- You can report the installation as successful and you’re done!
If you have any more questions, concerns, or are experiencing troubleshooting with your system update, make sure to let us at Kentwood Ford know and we’ll give you a hand!